John Waylett

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at feiKlx68Tt5S2LcMc-S9gNvno2UulMANyKBPwMOQJ8rUmDBsviEB496Jd9SoCDjynYJe5bZjoaoQg0vfUqpO0uLO.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 12 12:38:49 GMT 2012

Obviously having one of his bells here and what is thought to be the only surviving documents containing Waylett's own hand in the Canewdon documents I have a great interest in the founder and have done quite a lot of research into him and the bells he made in the Rochford area.

As I have mentioned to David Sloman in the past I strongly suspect that the treble (of two) at North Shoebury and the single bell that was at Rochford prior to 1874 that was also without inscription were, or in the case of North Shoebury are, both Waylett bell's.
>From my research is it clear that Waylett was in Rochford for some months in 1706/1707 and was casting bells in the town.
The surviving tenor (once of three) at Paglesham that has no inscription was identified by Benton writing in 1867 as being made by Waylett. The exact wording is as follows:

`

.there is every reason to believe that it was cast by a travelling bell founder named John Waylett.'

Now if this is proved to be correct it is highly likely that other blank `unknown' bells in areas of Waylett activity could well end up attributed to him. But it will take some close detailed inspecions of the castings to prove it.

One thing I can say with some certainty is that many of the previous accounts of Waylett, most notably E V Lucas describing his buisness as 'higher tinkering' and others who describe him as illiterate do the man man and his skills as a bell founder an injustice. One item in particular that sticks out in his later work is the 16 bell clock chime at Broad Street Steeple Stirling. A no inconsiderable achievement in 1729.

Brian Meldon