Bell Restoration Project Funding

Douglas Davis dougdavis22 at ...
Sun Apr 21 19:54:21 BST 2013

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross-posting of this email, but I wanted to capture the
largest audience possible.  I hope people don't mind me asking for this
type of advice in these groups, but I think they should contain the type of
people who may be able to help me out!

I'm District Secretary of the Rochester District of the KCACR, and one of
the towers in my District is on a mission to raise around £50k to get some
work done to their bells (new fixtures & fittings, recast of 5th, tuning
etc).  So far, they have received a grant of £8k from the County BRF and
have about £2k in their own bell fund so still have about £40k to go.

The tower captain approached me recently and asked if I might know of
anywhere else they may be able to obtain grants from to help towards this
figure.  Apparently certain lists of organisations that could help have
already been provided, but have yielded no results mainly because the vast
majority have stopped giving grants or don't exist anymore.

So my question is, does anyone know of any organisations/funds that can be
applied to for grants of this nature?  Obviously the ringers at the tower
will be carrying out their own fundraising activities when they can, but
the concern is that with the church being in a location with few local
residents and where only 2 services are held a month that this could take
longer than the bells will remain ringable in their current state - the 5th
is already cracked, shrouding is coming off wheels etc.

Any help or advice on this would be gratefully received, perhaps best
off-list to prevent clogging the groups with this thread as it may not be
of interest to everyone.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Doug Davis.