[Bell Historians] RE: Dove County Listings by Traditional County

Tim Jackson Tim at thejacksons57.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 22:53:02 GMT 2013

Thanks for feedback to date on the county listings that I posted the other
day.

I think most of the points raised were covered by my original message, but
in brief:
 - Which version of the traditional county boundaries have I used?  Those
published by the Historic Counties Trust (HCT), and described in great
detail on their website (but essentially using OS First Edition as the
primary source).
 - Why use that version?  Because, as far as I am aware, this is the only
set of traditional county boundaries that has been made freely available in
digitised form and the current task would not be viable without them.
 - What about detached parts?  The current set of listings is based on HCT
Definition A (detached part ignored); in due course I hope to revise the
listings to use HCT Definition B (detached part included) but HCT has not
yet made these boundaries available in digitised form.
 - Which tower locations have I used?  The lat longs published on the Dove
website, which we believe are now mostly accurate to 10 metres (or better).

As always, suggestions and corrections gratefully accepted.

Tim

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: