[Bell Historians] Re: Isobel Meikle

Chris Frye Chris at 8pObo3Dlcm7rMHy8GvFLsAsBipYMk6KLOuVWPUueA5pAMEPQG4LCFiwgNKw90pv9vDbYfC5j-nvmbEsM.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 21 15:32:47 GMT 2013

> David Sloman: ...cast by Isobel Meikle in 1709. Has anybody any
information on Isobel?  John Meikle, her husband, apparently died in 1704.

David, I have no information on Isobel, but have you searched through the
surveys of bells in Scotland by Eeles, Clouston and others? A good number
were published in the Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland and
are available on-line at:
http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/psas/volumes.cfm . (To see
the relevant articles, use the query facility to search for articles with
"Eeles" or "Clouston" as author and "bell" in the title.)

I had a quick look at Linlithgowshire, Renfrewshire and Perthshire and did
not find Isobel Meikle. Perthshire was Clouston's last county in this
series. He states in that article that Robert Maxwell was the successor to
John Meikle. This might suggest that Clouston had never seen any
inscriptions similar to that reported at Burntisland. That might well mean
that the name has not previously been recorded...

Chris Frye.

PS For those who don't know (like me some years back) Burntisland is
pronounced "Burnt-island" and not the way that synthetic phonics might
suggest. Of course, those who have learned to pronounce their UK place names
from flash-cards will not have a problem!