[Bell Historians] Re: Nicolaus Angelus

John Camp camp at 5zOlqfA_6aF2yvDuK5ilqzOlFvYq1vzGdbcyt5pA33g0azIv3LrT8nI4WaBaKypAcb62eP8slGl4FA.yahoo.invalid
Sat Feb 23 08:39:19 GMT 2013

At 00:53 on 23 February 2013, Timothy Hurd wrote:

> Certainly the spelling 'Nicolaus' could indicate Prussian/Polish
> origins, possibly from Danzig (Gdansk) region.

It also happens to be the Latin spelling.  Saint Nicholas is "Sanctus
Nicolaus".

> So the (extra word) 'Angelus' is probably not the founder's surname
> or a descriptor at all, but could refer to the bell itself as in:
> 'Nicolaus' made me (an 'Angel')  or a bell made for ringing the
> Angelus (hence, a 'Messenger').

The trouble with this is that the accusative "Angelum" would be
needed.  (Of course, incorrect Latin in inscriptions is not unknown,
even in modern times.)

John Camp