Arsenic in bell metal

robinshipp at c7SCqv8bSiFdO73T3TpqGeWtL_5TAUrPOB2MPZ_iuUod7scaP4VRsASL6GcYp33cF7KeQIJFXdrRM16HHA.yahoo.invalidrobin at zRvdLgcD_RqH1YihP5dumumBGF8zCpgdgU5wbHuOxYX0kqEGpBcDI_IwmS4AZcluI4BXEpR1xVzTe8We_7sKzajTRrwikw.yahoo.invalid> robinshipp at c7SCqv8bSiFdO73T3TpqGeWtL_5TAUrPOB2MPZ_iuUod7scaP4VRsASL6GcYp33cF7KeQIJFXdrRM16HHA.yahoo.invalidrobin at zRvdLgcD_RqH1YihP5dumumBGF8zCpgdgU5wbHuOxYX0kqEGpBcDI_IwmS4AZcluI4BXEpR1xVzTe8We_7sKzajTRrwikw.yahoo.invalid>
Tue Feb 26 08:09:28 GMT 2013

We have just replaced the old Bilbie 8th at Redcliffe with a new Taylor bell. The old bell was out of tune with itself, as demonstrated by Bill Hibbert, but there is a story going around now that another reason it sounded bad was that there was arsenic in the bell metal. The presence of arsenic would not be unusual, as some copper ores contain arsenic, and I believe that some archealogical artifacts are made of 'arsenical bronze'. But I find it hard to believe that would affect the tuning of the bell although if there was enough to affect the internal damping I suppose it would affect the resonance, if that's the right word.
Does anyone have any experience of this in other bells?