Chambers, Newton and Company.

TedSteeleteds.bells at 8V2ZFabvYdz9X5UVI8pzk8BWGMk9q-6UFJNQ7tAs5D5Mtb0nRx2HPAilnGe7Pigv4Y-XPfeH8mUPgu76Q6FY.yahoo.invalid TedSteeleteds.bells at 8V2ZFabvYdz9X5UVI8pzk8BWGMk9q-6UFJNQ7tAs5D5Mtb0nRx2HPAilnGe7Pigv4Y-XPfeH8mUPgu76Q6FY.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jan 31 18:41:10 GMT 2013

Attached is a very poor photograph of a small bell. It was taken in
haste with my phone through the glass of a display cabinet and is
blurred by reflections amongst other faults. It shows what was the bell
that hung in Sheffield's first General Infirmary, which later became the
Royal Infirmary. It is now displayed in a cabinet in the foyer of the
Royal Hallamshire hospital. I am curious to know whether the founders
were known for bells or were just general founders. While it is nothing
special to look at these little oddities always attract my interest. I
would speculate that given Sheffield's history as steel city this bell
would have been produced by a general founder, but if anyone does have
any information about the company I would be interested to hear it.

The bell is dated 1793 and has the maker's name, Chambers, Newton and
Co. vertically on the side, which itself seems a rather unusual
arrangement. An internet search reveals a company in Chapeltown,
Sheffield that was called Newton Chambers and had been founded in the
early 1800s. They became well known for building gasometers and later
Churchill tanks. Perhaps they were successors to the firm that made the
bell. A further search reveals that "It was in 1789 that George Newton
and Thomas Chambers entered into a partnership that would result in the
founding of one of England's largest industrial companies of that era,
Newton, Chambers & Co". Assuming that this is the same company I wonder
why the names are the other way round on the bell.

The bell looks rather corroded around the crown, might it be a steel
bell, or even iron? I strongly suspect the latter. The clapper, lying
next to it, is about twelve inches long.

Ted