[Bell Historians] What a carillon! (was ANZAB Festival)

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at ...
Tue Jul 16 13:43:03 BST 2013

No quibbles at all, actually - and no need to prolong it. I completely
agree with John that a) the OED records usage (not correctness), b) that
language evolves and the meaning of words changes (and new words come
into being), and c) that it's right for dictionaries to reflect that

All I was suggesting is that it's possible for a word to be given
authority when it had been misused used in the first place - i.e. not a
genuine new usage. I was simply questioning whether the filter
mechanisms used by the OED are sufficiently robust at filtering out
words / changes that don't really reflect new meanings / concepts or uses

Carilloner sounds to me like a word that shouldn't have got through the
filters

--
Chris Pickford 4 Walmsley Court, High Street, Kinver, DY7 6HG Tel: 01384
878435 or (mobile) 07811 453525 E-mail: c.j.pickford at ... or