Fwd: Shipwreck bell photo - resent

Robert Lewis editor at PMr2SDACPw2PYPh9NgjeVwr__5_fFwQDTtyxwE7j2uPNbbTrU7AG_SSAzL51HoJv4clYcYGvjoFJnv41KboibqiOlg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 1 01:12:00 GMT 2013

Can anyone help with this please?

The theory sounds a bit unlikely to me, but ...

RAL

From: Sean Kingsley <sean at EkcBxFLfJBpXF8EQ9Uyc4PFpT-WDmMf-mIrjYFnjQuVtN3_8yQUJ-HdK685wzeXe83f1gmuP8xFSOxbShA.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: Bell Markings?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:31:58 +0000
To: editor at 9r94Em93R47tAkll78o3bi5Q-UkO7skUexMQ6E4qDO7NvSpUtrU9qerfTE75-GBguAvAaV1p_uEqB7QTbuYD-949RQ.yahoo.invalid

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wonder if anyone at The Ringing World could help with an unusual enquiry?

I am currently publishing a brass bell from a shipwreck found off the
coast of England that dates to the last quarter of the 17th century.

The object has a strange incised marking  on the inside base of the
bell, as attached. It has been suggested that this might somehow be a
mark signifying the strike tone. Have you possibly ever seen anything
like this?

Any light you may be able to shed on this matter would be very
gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Sean

Dr Sean Kingsley