[Bell Historians] Lord Nelson.

Richard Smith richard at QvERHtBakioHODbgfkO0ST4V_vORkVBM1LjSY9O0MJBMe9sfmy0S_hA_-EAPNpt0RdBRpR_gNkYot2O5OVaM.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 1 09:39:39 GMT 2013

ALAN A J BUSWELL wrote:

> As no minutes were given to the time of the ringing, could
> this be taken as a full length peal, one that is not in
> the 'Felstead' records?

No, I don't think you can assume that.  It's quite common to
find references to "peals" in newspapers at this time, but
they're often not peals in the modern sense of performances
of 5000 or more changes.  This is clear because there are
plenty of occasions when a duration or number of changes is
given for the these "peals", and they're incompatible with a
5000+ change performance.  It seems pretty unsound to assume
that, because these details are not present, the modern
sense is meant.

In this particular instance, assuming Havant were around 15
cwt (i.e. that the present tenor replaces an earlier one of
similar weight -- and I have no evidence for that
assumption), I would expect a half-muffled 5040 rung in 1805
to be no faster than 2h55.  It would seem surprising if that
were rounded down to the two hours in the newspaper report
you quote.

We should also bear in mind that six-bell peals were rare at
this time.  In the 20-year period centred on Nelson's death,
Felstead records only 11 peals of doubles or minor, compared
to 490 of triples or major, 128 of caters or royal, and 32
of cinques or maximus.  I am willing to believe there is an
element of bias here with records of six-bell peals having
survived less well than for peals on higher stages.  But
even allowing for that, it's clear that performances of
5000+ changes were largely restricted to seven or more
bells.

RAS