[Bell Historians] Maiden Bells

Richard Offen richard.offen at ...
Wed May 8 15:06:17 BST 2013

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Matthew Higby & Company Ltd, www.bellhangers.com
Sent: Wednesday, 8 May 2013 3:17 AM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Maiden Bells

Dear All,

What do the members of this list consider "Maiden Bell" or "Maiden Ring" to
mean?
I was always under the impression that the bell is in an "as cast" condition
(i.e. totally untuned).

Is an untuned bell which has lost its canons still considered to be maiden?

Cheers,

Matthew

I has always been my understanding that the word 'maiden' was used to
describe ONLY the lack of any physical tuning of a bell or ring.

Surely the removal of canons or drilling of centre holes is a very modern
occurrence, which would not have been known to either bell founders or bell
historians of past generations, who coined the term in the first place?

(please note Dickon, I'm being a really good boy and bottom posting!)