[Bell Historians] woburn 1/4's

Robert Lewis editor at ringingworld.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 00:39:16 GMT 2013

At 19:22 03/11/2013, Andrew wrote:

>This would seem a fair argument, but as is well-known in some
>quarters, the attitude of Whitechapel to genuine requests for
>information from their archives is in stark contrast to that of
>Taylors. However, having one inadvertently caused offence by opening
>that particular can of worms, I will make no further comment.

The bell founders are both privately owned companies and their
archives are private property, which in some instances probably have
commercial as well as historical value.  I think there is a tendency
within some ringing circles to regard these records in some sense as
'public property' with access 'as of right' . Surely it is entirely
up to the foundries how and when they decide to make their archive
material available to people and I think they are perfectly at
liberty to either refuse access or make a charge, especially if
giving supervised access is going to incur costs to their business.

With regard to Rod Bickerton's earlier point - we get a quite lot of
requests at the RW to help with research of all kinds (particularly
family-history related queries and background for tv/radio
broadcasters) and occasionally it is possible to give a quick hint
about where people might best pursue their search (eg via the Central
Council librarian or Biographies/PR Committee, etc.), but we really
don't normally have the resource to go hunting directly for things
ourselves. Moreover none of our current admin. staff are actually
ringers and if the enquiry demands some knowledge of ringing or
ringers then it is likely to fall on my desk. I can (and often do)
help as far as I can, provided that it is not going to interfere
unduly with our weekly production work.

RAL