[Bell Historians] woburn 1/4's

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Mon Nov 4 15:18:45 GMT 2013

Mike Fradd wrote:

> I tried to get info about a local bell from Whitechapel
> who made it, they said they would charge £35 an hour plus
> VAT minimum charge 2 hours and no guarantee of anything
> being found,

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  I spent my lunch
break in the Cambridgeshire Archives today and asked them
how much they charge.  They told me they had a sliding
scale, starting at £20 for half an hour, reducing to £50 for
two hours.  The National Archives, according to their
website, charge £20 for every fifteen minutes.

You might question whether Whitechapel's two hour minimum
rate is reasonable, but it's entirely possible that even a
trivial search of their records could take that long if the
records are not well indexed or are inconveniently located,
and once time spent in correspondence and reproducing
records is included.  Plus, of course, Whitechapel's core
business is not historical research and they will be pricing
such research at a price so that it doesn't adversely affect
their core business.

Of course it would be wonderful if they did it for free, but
we have no right to expect that, and we should be grateful
they allow access to their records at all.  If you're hoping
that they might start allowing more ready access to the
archives, I'm certain bitching about it on a public mailing
list will do nothing to further that goal.

RAS

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: