[Bell Historians] SPAB

Peter Rivet peter at plrivet.plus.com
Tue Oct 15 10:53:52 BST 2013

I have a copy of SPAB's technical pamphlet no. 14 - first published 1998, reprinted with amendments 2003.  The authors are Anthony Drew-Edwards and David Lodge.  Chris Dalton provided some of the background information.  Essentially, it advocates the retention and repair of timber frames wherever possible: "Timber bellframes are often among the oldest items in historic churches and, as fine examples of the carpentry work of their period, they make an important contribution to these buildings' historic continuity..."

It's accompanied by detailed drawings showing examples of what can be done: Powick, Worcestershire; Twyning, Gloucestershire; and Pakenham, Suffolk.  It isn't anti-ringing and it does recognise that there are other points of view to take into consideration.  It states on page 3: "Decisions regarding the repair of bellframes should be made in consultation with the incumbent, the churchwarden or a representative of the PCC, the captain of the bellringers or the tower keeper, the Diocesan Bells Adviser, the bellhangers and relevant conservation bodies such as the SPAB..."

I stand by my position that SPAB have a point of view and are entitled to be listened to, just as long as its representatives recognise that a ring of bells is a musical instrument and not just a set of archaeological curiosities hung in an ancient piece of woodwork.

Peter Rivet