[Bell Historians] List of long lengths

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Sep 19 00:22:14 BST 2013

Dickon Love wrote:

> I'd like to put together a list of the longest peals ever
> rung in the City of London, from the 5040 peal at St
> Sepulchre-without-Newgate in 1690* to the 13,579 at St
> Giles-without-Cripplegate in 2006.  Before I scuttle off
> doing this, I wonder whether anyone has already made a
> list of long peals that one can access?

Irrespective of whether you believe the 1690 peal happened,
the next record lengths in the City are:

5,060 on Tue 19 Jan 1724 (NS):
   Grandsire Cinques by the College Youths at St Brides.
   Cond. Matthew East.

5,280 on Sat 26 Feb 1726 (NS):
   Plain Bob Max by the College Youths at St Brides.
   Cond. Benjamin Annable.

6,204 on Mon 24 Nov 1729:
   Grandsire Cinques by the London Scholars at Cornhill.
   "The first compleat peal of six thousand cinques."
   Rung by thirteen ringers plus two 'asssistants'.
   Cond. not recorded.

7,018 in 5h 19m on Mon 14 Feb 1732 (NS):
   Grandsire Cinques by the College Youths at Cornhill.
   "Being the longest peal that had been rang on 12 bells."
   Rung by fourteen ringers.
   Cond. Benjamin Annable.

7,040 in 5h 27m on Fri 22 Feb 1734 (NS?):
   Grandsire Cinques by the City Scholars at Cornhill.
   "Being the greatest performance of the kind ever known."
   Band not known.

After that, I'm less certain, but I think there's a
century's gap and then:

7,524 on Mon 6 Jan 1851:
   Stedman Cinques by the College Youths at Cripplegate.

8,580 on Sat 27 Apr 1861:
   Stedman Cinques by the College Youths at Cornhill.

Then I think there's another century-long gap and then:

11,111 in 8h 1m on Sun 8 May 1988:
   Stedman Cinques by the College Youths at Bow.
   Cond. David House.

13,579 in 9h 19m on Mon 17 Apr 2006:
   Stedman Cinques by the College Youths at Cripplegate.
   Cond. Paul Mounsey.

It'll be a bit of a shame to see a peal on a light eight
next on the list :-)

RAS

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional