[Bell Historians] Flitwick, Bedfordshire - Bell refurbishment DVD

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Sep 19 15:47:32 BST 2013

It seems quite common for towers to produce a DVD or book
documenting a recent restoration; and it's very nice that
they do.  But what, if any, steps are taken to ensure copies
are preserved for future generations of historians?

Books, in these situations, are usually produced using an
on-demand print service -- we used bonusprint.co.uk for the
one we did at GSM -- so copies won't routinely end up in the
copyright libraries.  DVDs are even easier to produce in the
quantities likely to be required, and can be made on a home
computer.  Is it normal for copies of these sorts of books
and DVDs to end up in the local reference libraries or
county archives?  I somehow doubt it, but I don't really
know.

Not all the territorial associations have libraries, and
those that do are often struggling to find places to house
them; I don't get the impression that many have a
particularly active aquisitions policy, so I doubt they
usually end up with copies.  Nor have I seen any evidence
that the CC library is actively acquiring such material, and
for reasons of space it may not be feasible for it to do so.

I'm not sure what the solution is, nor even whether there's
really a problem requiring a solution, but I am concerned
that the ease with which such material is produced may be
resulting in a blasé attitude towards its preservation.

RAS

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: