[Bell Historians] some comments on some bells

'Anne Willis' zen16073@zen.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Dec 6 16:52:39 GMT 2014

Interesting to see some of the statements made. Not least Gloucester where
there were never ten bells until the 1950's - presumably the 60-cwt tenor is
Great Peter which at the time was hung for ringing. The ten at Peterborough
were of course reduced to five in 1831, of which only the tenor now remains
with the 'new' 12. The old tenor of the eight at Lincoln was never as much
as 50 cwt, though that is too light to be accounted for by the old Great Tom
(87 cwt).

As for the rest, Lichfield have been recast, York replaced (twice) and the
old St Martin's ring has gone on its wanderings to Perth - just as has the
tower and fittings of All Hallows itself, with the 10 bells it acquired from
St Dionis, now to be found in the leafier purlieus of Twickenham.

DLC

I did point out that 'short' hundredweight with 100lb to the cwt were
probably used, which could account for discrepancies in weight.  That plus
the habit of weighing the bell with the clapper, as Thomas Blackbourn of
Salisbury almost certainly did.

'Litchfield' by the way was spelt as given in Leffler, and I 'think' that is
how Dr Johnson spelt it.

Anne