[Bell Historians] Beaufoy formerly Branfoy tract

John David johnedavid@hotmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jul 9 20:46:31 BST 2014

Re Beaufoy formerly Branfoy tract.

Thank
you Gareth for the reference.

It seems
from the Google Book’s copy that Ellacombe in 1857 had a copy of the original
tract, published in 1804 by Mr S. Beaufoy (b1750 Warwickshire, 1783 minister
of  Lady Huntingdon’s chapel at Town
Sutton (now Sutton Valence), Kent, and died there in 1823); and he republished it
with his own preface, which included an extract from “The school of recreation, or, The gentlemans tutor : to those most
ingenious exercises of hunting, racing, hawking, riding, cock-fighting,
fowling, fishing, shooting, bowling, tennis, ringing, billiards” by Robert
Howlett (1684).

>From the
letter to Lukis, which I think we can now assume was from Ellacombe, it would
seem that the latter had two copies of the 1804 edition, one of which he sent
to Revd Gatty (at Ecclesfield) and the other to WCL for copying and return. He
does not mention that he was publishing a reprint, although one might imagine that
by June 1857 he must have been contemplating it as the date of Ellacombe’s preface
is Michaelmas.
Is there
a copy of Beaufoy’s original tract still in existence anywhere?

John
David

Guernsey