[Bell Historians] Harrington and Latham Tubes - what are they made from??‏??

Laurie Alexander laurie2027@hotmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jul 30 05:19:25 BST 2014

I have been watching the posts regarding Tubular bells with great interest, I am aware this type of bell is not held in much regard with other Bell Ringers, but let me give you a brief insight into Tubular bells at our Parish.  We have had Tubular bells in our tower since 1889.  To us, they are very musical and very workable.  Provided the wooden striking hammers are maintained in good condition, the bells continue to chime well and generally do not get out of tune.  We find Silver Ash wood best for lighter bells, Merbau wood and Iron Bar wood works best for the bigger bells.  We tend to get complaints from our neighbours if we miss or shorten a ringing session - the feedback generally is that neighbours as well as the congregation look forward to the ringing methods as well as the 150+ church hymns which ring out on the Church Calendar.  Some video clips of the Tubular Bells have been filmed and published online, currently - regularly watched on a daily basis in 152 countries.  Up until now we have only published in English, we have recently begun to publish in other languages including; Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chinese simplified, Chinese traditional, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu.  It is hoped the Church Hymn clips in local languages will be inspiring, uplifting and encouraging in Faith for the viewers.  This is 'Project Now' and 'Project Next' is to compose some compositions and add Faith wording with new and current additional languages.  I wonder if Mr. Harris, Mr. Harrington, Mr. Latham and Mr. Holland and the many that worked at the three foundries in Coventry could have ever envisaged that all these years after manufacture of the Tubular Bells, they would be able to ring all around the world in 80+ languages assisting people every minute of the day with inspiration and encouragement in Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Please pray for us that this will help to make a difference in people's lives and that this might be another way we can reach out to our Brothers and Sisters all around the world.