[Bell Historians] The Murphy octave in Melbourne

'Richard Offen' richard.offen@iinet.net.au [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jul 30 14:38:50 BST 2014

According to Laith Reynolds, who was the principle donor when St Patrick’s Cathedral bells were restored in 1989, he made a specific decision not to have the bells tuned in order to preserve the original sound of the Murphy ring.   He also had them rehung anti-clockwise for the same reason.

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014 7:55 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] The Murphy octave in Melbourne

Having just returned from Australia, but not having rung at St. Patrick's Cathedral Melbourne, can anyone tell me why they have remained untuned? I remember that there was an article in RW about them, but at the time it was of no interest. Maybe a kind soul could send same  article to me electronically? jameshedgcock at hotmail.com