[Bell Historians] Enquiry from the Embassy of Finland in London

George Dawson george at gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 14:38:27 GMT 2014

For any information??

From: David Knight [mailto:david.knight at churchofengland.org]
Sent: 24 March 2014 14:32
To: 'George Dawson'; 'John Baldwin'
Subject: FW: Enquiry from the Embassy of Finland in London

Do either of you know anything about the bells described below?

David

Subject: Enquiry from the Embassy of Finland in London

Hi everyone,

We have had an enquiry from the Embassy of Finland, who are trying to trace
some Finnish bells in London. They told us:

A Finnish historian has contacted us with regards to some old church bells
that went missing from a Finnish rural church a very long time ago, ie circa
1700 - 1721.  It was the time of the Great Nordic War and the Russian troops
had occupied Finland. During the occupation, Russians took everything that
was worth taking and it is rumoured that the aforesaid church bells somehow
ended up in the UK. Naturally there is no paper trail or any proper
photographic evidence of this, but in around 1962 an article appeared in one
of the Finnish newspapers that a Finnish woman who was then living in London
had seen the church bells before the World War II in a museum she had
visited. The article does not mention which museum, only that it was in
London.

The church bells belonged to the church in a village called Isokyrö in the
western part of Finland near the city Vaasa. Apparently the lady who spotted
the bells noticed that in the museum there was a text next to them
mentioning 'Storkyrö' which is the Swedish name for Isokyrö - Finland being
a bilingual country.

Anyone got any ideas? I’d love to hear them... especially if you happen to
have come across them!

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah

Sarah Crossland

National Support Officer

National Churches Trust
31 Newbury Street
London EC1A 7HU

Tel: 020 7600 6090
Fax: 020 7796 2442
 <mailto:ceri at nationalchurchestrust.org>
sarah.crossland at nationalchurchestrust.org
 <http://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/> www.nationalchurchestrust.org

Visit our new  <http://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/> website and discover
how we support church buildings across the United Kingdom.

If you love churches, why not become a
<http://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/support-our-work/become-friend> Friend
of the National Churches Trust.

NCT lo res

restoring heritage | revitalising communities

Registered Charity No. 1119845

This email is intended for the addressee named above. The email may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
or person responsible for delivering the message to the named addressee,
please call the National Churches Trust on 020 7600 6090 immediately. The
Whilst the National Churches Trust makes every effort to ensure that all
emails and attachments are virus-free, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to check for viruses and the Trust does not accept any
responsibility for any loss arising.

Please support our work and donate securely online by visiting our
JustGiving page:  <http://www.justgiving.com/nationalchurchestrust>
http://www.justgiving.com/nationalchurchestrust

<http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Churches-Trust/174687842556728?v=wal
l> Facebook-stamp-64.png <https://twitter.com/#!/NatChurchTrust>