[Bell Historians] Houndsditch?

Andrew Wilby andrew at wilby.me.uk
Thu May 8 16:38:49 BST 2014

It certainly is Houndsditch. I made several purchases there when I
worked at Liverpool St. We had a staff discount of not very much.
As an east end department store it had some old fashioned sales and
accounting processes typical of a Jewish family owned business where
only the family were trusted anywhere near the cash.

The sales staff would give you an invoice which you took to the
department manager who checked it and stamped it, and then you trooped
off to the cashiers office behind steel grills where you paid, probably
to a member of the family who then issued you with a document that
entitled you to go back and collect the goods!

I never saw the bells but have a hazy memory of a photo of them on the
roof of the building. When the company closed and sold the property for
development, probably for a large sum, I seem to remember it said that
WBF had the bells for scrap.... might be wrong?

Andrew