[Bell Historians] Early Peal in Canada? / life before N A G

'alan_ellis@telus.net' alan_ellis@telus.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed May 21 16:51:22 BST 2014

Hello David and Mike,
Initially this publication was available in wire-spring-bound copies from Michael Simpson shortly before his untimely death.

Since then I have reprinted two copies and have had them bound with the permission of Judy, Michael's widow. One for Judy and one for my own library.

We never thought that the book would sell well and so we went no further with it, except that it was Bruce Butler, I believe, who requested whether
we could have it on the NAGCR web-site, for which Judy gave her permission.  It is therefore available for everyone's viewing and /or downloading.  It is
a very interesting story of all the early North American towers.

As to the Exeter peal.  As NAGCR were never able to authenticate its truth, we have never counted it.  I don't believe that there are any names given to the
ringers of the peal for possible verification.   I have not personally rung there but my wife has - at least she has tried to ring there.  Apparently the bells go
very strangely and no wonder, because the pulleys are reported to be some 2 in. or less in diameter!  My poor lady could not get the bell up half way even.
It just would not go any further!    One day I hope to get there to have a look.  Exeter, Ontario, is some 200 miles west of Toronto and a bit out of the way.

Perhaps others who have rung or who have tried to ring there could provide additional information.

Best wishes,

Alan Ellis
Vancouver, B.C.