[Bell Historians] Bar Chimes

'David Cawley' davidl.cawley@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Nov 1 20:03:28 GMT 2014

How very interesting. As for sound, not nearly as bad as one might be inclined to anticipate.

The actual striking arrangement is really a somewhat ‘vernacular’ application (in this case, in wood) as to that found on the majority of tubular chimes, though in this case connected to a small barrel rather than a plucking-type manual.

I knew of the bar-chime at Allerton-Bywater, which was listed in earlier editions of Dove which is presumably one of the four alluded to – where were the others?

DLC

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 31 October 2014 10:54
To: bellhistorians [bellhistorians]
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bar Chimes

I think that all the bar chimes that were installed in the UK have now gone. Certainly all those, four in number, that I have been made aware of have disappeared.

I wonder if anyone on the list has actually heard one of these chimes. I've come across this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_t3wutzztM

I wonder if the UK chimes would sound similar to this, even though their striking mechanism might well have been different.

Mike