[Bell Historians] Common Pleas Rolls 1450-1550 [1 Attachment]

pete@thedysons.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Sep 4 20:18:47 BST 2014

A few moths ago I was contacted by a man called Vance Mead, who was doing research into his family history. As part of his work he was indexing the Court of Common Pleas Rolls from 1450 to 1550. The CoP was a common law court in the English judicial system and allowed people to use a court to settle things such as outstanding debts, trespass and other minor matters between individuals. Whilst doing his work, he noticed there were lots of references to bell founders and he compared it to my database www.bellfounders.net http://www.bellfounders.net/. He noted that there were several founders who did not appear in the database and kindly contacted me with the details.
 Since then I have been through his indexes noting new (to my database) founders, amended dates of working and some different places of work. There are no translations of the actual Plea Rolls available, but I have put all the details from his indexes into a table, which also includes some details of who were Plaintiffs and Defendants in the cases, some of who were Vicar and Wardens of particular parishes. In some cases the Executors were bringing the case after a death and some widows are named. This gives us detail of bells being cast in the 15/16th century and will no doubt be of interest to subscribers to this List.
 Vance's Index (done in conjunction with Rosemary Simons) is at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40_Indices.html http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40_Indices.html from where you can view the actual pages, if you want to look at medieval Latin!

 Regards,
 Pete Dyson