[Bell Historians] Indexing foundry marks

'George Dawson' george@gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Nov 27 17:18:47 GMT 2015

  Lawrence Greenall wrote:

I hope an amateur local historian can submit a humble view .  I would like
to add an observation on a different aspect of the problem, that of data
capture in the field .

There is another potential source.  I remember reading remarks, I think  by
Lukis or Ellacombe, that they 'took' impressions of bell inscriptions, which
were either rubbings or plaster casts.  Do any of these still survive?
There are prints of rubbings in many of the County bell books

There are a few rubbings of Wiltshire bells in the Harris collection at
Devizes Museum Library.  Some are of lost bells and some were used in
'Church Bells of Wiltshire'.   I remember them as being quite clear.
Unfortunately the rubbings are currently inaccessible as the library is
closed for building works until February/March 2016.  I think I have copies
of some of the smaller ones.  (The Colerne rubbing is one very long strip of
paper!)

It's a long time since I looked at it, but James Jerram's manuscript of
Church Bells of Wiltshire in Salisbury reference library (well, I hope it
still is!) has a lot of rubbings in it.  His manuscript of pre-WWI London
bells (and organs) is/was there too.

Anne

Rubbings do not give the detail required for the suggested work, good for
lettering. Plaster casts cast from plasticine squeezes are excellent but a
lot of care (& hot hands) is needed to get all the detail.

I've got thousands!!