[Bell Historians] The Oldest ring

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Sep 10 18:34:05 BST 2015

Mike Chester wrote:

> Monks Risborough's back 5 are a mixture of 1636/7, but the
> treble of 6 is a modern bell.

So it is.  Dove doesn't give a date, not even an estimated
one, which looks like an error in Dove.

> Each of the rings quoted have bells of differing dates,

Yes.  David didn't ask for complete rings, and Harwell is
not.  The only 17th century complete sixes (again, according
to Dove) are as follows:

   1673    Martley, Worcs
   1676-8  Carfax Tower, Oxford, Oxon
   1680    Merton College, Oxford, Oxon (complete eight)
   1681    Wellesbourne, Warks (back six of eight)
   1682    Blessington, Wicklow
   1683-6  Great Cransley, Northants
   1686    Burton Dassett, Warks
   1686    Coughton, Warks (back six)
   1686-90 Cropredy, Oxon (back six)
   1695-6  Hadlow, Kent (back six)
   1696-7  Elmley Lovett, Worcs (back six)
   1699    Rusper, W Sussex (back six)
   1699    Worfield, Shrops
   1700    Castor, Cambs (back six)
   1700    Quatt, Shrops

These include a few where a bell was replaced with within
five years by the same founder (or Cropredy may have been a
five-to-six augmentation).  It's a matter of definition
whether you consider these to be "complete" rings.

David Willis:

> Impressive how you found that Richard.  I assume that
> research isn't possible for an ordinary user using the on
> line Dove ?

No, I don't believe it's possible at present.

Matthew Higby wrote:

> Great Durnford are 1657.

Yes, though they're not a six ... assuming Dove is correct.

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional