[Bell Historians] hand bells

jameshedgcock@hotmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Sep 13 18:03:15 BST 2015

There are ten bells all in good condition. The tenor is 12.5 cm diameter and is in B. All have been restored at some time and have 'modern' hand bell fittings. They are a diatonic ten. The 6th has no markings but its appearance is consistent with the others. The other nine are marked WR but some are feint. 5 has the wavy lines mentioned in BB's book and treble has a couple of marks consistent with exterior filing. They belonged to Sarah's mother and father John R Smith of Aylsham and Elizabeth 'Betty' Smith. Both of them rang with Harold Poole at Leicester Cathedral and were in the first peal of Bristol Maximus that was rung at Leicester Cathedral. Betty's maiden name was Faulknall. Betty has had a massive stroke and is in the process of being found a nursing home. John died some years ago. The bells are for sale as we have no use for them. The sale is on a buyer collects basis, but  we can get them to Leicester via Murray Coleman. We don't want to chance parcel post and they can be returned if they are not as described or don't meet expectations. We would not wish anyone to be unhappy with them. Cash or postal orders only. If we can't find a buyer they will go to an antiques dealer in Higham Ferrers. Any recommendations about a fair selling price would be welcome.