[Bell Historians] Tower Classification required

John Camp camp@bellringers.org [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Apr 11 17:11:20 BST 2016

At 16:07 on 11 April 2016, 'James White' jw_home at ntlworld.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

> John Camp wrote:

>>> What about Oxford colleges and former churches: Merton, Magdalen,
>>> New College, Lincoln, Carfax.  Also St Cross, now owned by Balliol
>>> College with the bells made inaccessible.  But maybe you've
>>> included these in one of your categories.

> I recall in an earlier thread (some of) these were not regarded as
> secular even if in private ownership.  The current thread was
> looking at secular towers so (some of) these towers may not be part
> of the consideration.

As always, it depends on what you mean.  Carfax, Lincoln and St Cross
no longer have any ecclesiastical function, though all three used to
be churches (or part of a church, in the case of Carfax).  Magdalen,
Merton and New College are, of course, all connected with their
respective college chapels, but have no formal connection with the
church, in its widest sense.  They are owned by the college.  Does
this make them secular?  Does it matter?

As Chris Pickford says, what is the purpose of the classification?

John Camp

---

Posted by: John Camp <john at camp.uk.net>

<*> Your email settings: