[Bell Historians] Tower Classification required

'Chris Frye' Chris@frye.org.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Apr 18 14:58:33 BST 2016

> Alan Buswell: "Ringing World and Dove ...are for 'Church Bell Ringers'...original question - what is a secular tower?"

Before we get to the question of secular towers, it seems that a prior definition is required. Are we talking about what might be called "Church Bell-ringers" or is it "Church-bell Ringers"? Personally I prefer the latter because it is more inclusive and it is descriptive of the communities served by Dove, CCCBR and the RW.

Perhaps to clarify the issue, we should turn to how the CCCBR itself defines "Church Bell Ringers". The CCCBR rules are easy to find at http://www.methods.org.uk/ccrules.htm . In the section headed "Object" the phrase "church bells" appears twice whereas "bell ringer" does not appear at all. To my mind this strongly suggests that the CCCBR exists for "Church-bell Ringers" in a general sense, rather than "Church Bell-ringers" in a narrow sense. The same will apply for Dove and RW.

Of course, Alan's original post on 11th April made it clear that this is all about the recording of quarter peals. I must say that Alan's diligent recording over what seems to be the whole of my ringing career (now approaching 50 years) is a remarkable record. As regards reporting, the last analysis came out as a County/Country list with "Secular and Mini Rings" as a separate line item (RW page 152). Again, some thought is required as to who these lists are complied for. Is it "ringers" or is it "county/county authorities" or is it "church diocese/national bodies"? I suspect that it is "ringers". As the vast majority of "ringers" (and the CCCBR) are interested in "church bells" wherever they may be, then it would be my view that the lists should be organised accordingly ie by county/country including all towers whether church or secular. If separate treatment for mini-rings is desired, then the easy way to do it is to simply count, in the main analysis, only towers that are listed on Dove. In my experience great care is taken to have objective criteria and careful recording for entries in Dove - is it not our primary reference for rings of "church bells"?

Sorry to go on bit...I wanted the response to be clear!

Chris Frye.

Posted by: "Chris Frye" <chris at frye.org.uk>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional