[Bell Historians] Evesham bells

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Apr 30 17:16:03 BST 2016

Members of this list may be interested in two recent publications about the
bells of Evesham – one about the Bell Tower, the other about the associated
“Evesham” bell at Gloucester St.Nicholas. Both are published by the Vale of
Evesham Historical Society, and available via
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Abbeygate

The titles are:

Evesham Abbey Bell Tower: An architectural and documentary history by George
and Toni Demidowicz (2015) – price £40. I haven’t seen this yet, so I can’t
say how much it says about the bells (rather than the Bell Tower itself) but
I know the authors and can unhesitatingly say that it will have been well
researched. It is also well illustrated

A lost bell of Evesham Abbey? Clement Lichfield, Robert Hendley and the 4th
bell of Gloucester St Nicholas by Stan Brotherton (2015) – price £15.
Definitely an interesting and useful little publication, challenging
conventional thinking and tradition regarding Clement Lichfield (the builder
of the Bell Tower) and the Gloucester bellfounder Robert Hendley

Chris Pickford