[Bell Historians] Bell by Wm. Gammon [1 Attachment]

Ted Steele bells@tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Feb 27 22:46:45 GMT 2016

<*>[Attachment(s) from Ted Steele included below]

The bell in the attached picture is on a windowsill in the Spread Eagle
pun near Wragby, Yorkshire. It is marked Wm. Gammon 1817 in somewhat
uneven lettering. No other marks are visible. I wonder if it was made by
a foundry not used to making bells; I have never heard the name before.
The bell is approx 15 inches across the rim. The landlady did not know
the bells history but as the pub is very close to Nostell Priory she
thought it might have come from Wragby Church, which is in teh grounds.
I thought that extremely unlikely (we were having lunch before ringing
there) but wondered if it might have come from a stable block or
similar. Is the maker known?

Ted

<*>Attachment(s) from Ted Steele:

  <*> Bell Wm Gammon 1817 copy.jpg