[Bell Historians] Re: Worcester Cathedral

'David Beacham' david1.beacham@virgin.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jun 1 08:39:02 BST 2016

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 01 June 2016 07:58
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Re: Worcester Cathedral

 >>The rope that you remember that descended to ground level in the north transept was that of the flat 8th

Regarding the vergers' rope for the flat 8th, now you've jogged my memory, I do recall seeing part of it's horizontal run above the transept vaulting when on a tower tour many years ago. I'm guessing there were at least two pulleys involved where it changed direction from vertical to horizontal then back to vertical for the final descent. Presumably it was just tied to the ringers' rope then descended through the ringing chamber floor into the clock room to begin it's run downstairs? ...

Or was it more complex than that?

Steve.

The horizontal run was not above the transept vaulting but below the clock room ceiling/ringing room floor, running as you said via two pulleys from the N-W corner to the S-W corner.

David

Posted by: groups.steve.powell at channel-two.net

  _____

 <mailto:groups.steve.powell at channel-two.net?subject=RE%3A%20%5BBell%20Historians%5D%20Re%3A%20Worcester%20Cathedral> Reply to sender