[Bell Historians] Fishlake, South Yorkshire

'Peter Rivet' peter@plrivet.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue May 17 12:47:32 BST 2016

Ted

I have now realised that details of Fishlake bells are readily available as they (and their frame) are covered in George Dawson’s Church Bells of the Diocese of Sheffield.  From this it is clear that Warners recast the original tenor in 1868; it wasn’t an augmentation.

Peter

From: Peter Rivet [mailto:peter at plrivet.plus.com]
Sent: 17 May 2016 12:10
To: 'bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com' <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Fishlake, South Yorkshire

Ted

I don’t have any information specific to Fishlake but as three of the bells are Samuel Smith 1706 I would recommend – if you haven’t already seen it - Dennis Greenwood’s booklet, The Post-Reformation Bellfounders of York  (privately published, 1994).  It contains a lot of useful information on the Smiths’ Toft Green foundry.   The Smith family supplied bells to a large area of the north of England, and many of them survive.  From the examples I’ve seen their external finish was generally very good though their tuning was variable.  They seem to have cast or augmented a number of minor fives so it wouldn’t be surprising to find one here.

So far as the frame is concerned, Warners contracted a lot of their bellhanging in Yorkshire to Mallaby of Masham.  It’s possible that they were responsible for the modifications concerned to accommodate an extra bell.

Peter Rivet