[Bell Historians] The Botley Youths

Ted Steele teds.bells@tesco.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Dec 2 23:04:42 GMT 2017

On 28/11/2017 16:50, Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:

> The /Memoirs of William Cobbett, Esq., MP for Oldham/,
> volume 2, page 183-6 he tells a rather unflattering story
> about the ringers at Botley, Hants whom he refers to as
> "'the youths,' of Botley" and later the "the Botley youths".
> Cobbett says there were four bells at the time which "were
> not made to harmonize in their tone". This must have been
> the old church of St Bartholomew, Botley which was about a
> mile south of the village. The new church of All Saints in
> the village centre was completed in 1836, in which year the
> nave of the old church was removed, together presumably with
> whatever tower it had. This doesn't tell us much, other
> than that there were ringers at Botley, Hants in the 19th
> century and they called themselves the Botley Youths.

I have been browsing Bells Life in London looking for something else and
found another Botley peal, rung by the Tongham and Botley Abbott’s
Change Ringing Society. I don't know if it throws any further light on
the puzzle but Tongham (which has a St Paul's church) is quite a way
from Botley in the  Hamble valley being close to Farnham and Aldershot.
It is somewhat closer than Botley which has a parish known as Botley's
and Lyne. The church has no bells but seems to have a large enough
tower. Probably nothing at all to do with it but perhaps worth a mention.

Bells Life in London September 12th 1874, page 8 foot of column 6.

  “On Sept. 4, eight members of the Tongham and Botley Abbott’s Change
Ringing Society rang at St Paul’s , Botley Cross, a true and complete
peal of Oxford treble bob major, containing 5,280 changes, being the
extent of 10** (one or more digits apparently lost from edge of the
page) course. J. May treble (conductor), F. Gould2, W. Bilssett 3, A.
Dunn 4, J. Maxwell 5, W. May 6, G. Randall 7, W. Allen tenor. Time
occupied , 3h 15min, the weight of the tenor being 18cwt in F.”

Ted

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: