[Bell Historians] Upper Clacton missing peal

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Dec 3 10:30:54 GMT 2017

I have found to my cost that it can take multiple word searches to find an answer.
A Newspaper search using FindMyPast scored zero.

Searching Bell News and pre 1950's RW's can be very hit and miss.

After Terry Hampton died I went searching Pre PealBase for 44 peals to balance his records and identical word searches were coming up with different answers. The 44 were eventually found but it took time.

David

________________________________
From: "Ted Steele teds.bells at tesco.net [bellhistorians]" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, 2 December 2017, 23:17

The correspondence about Botley and the interesting information that
came from it encourages me to enquire whether anyone on this list can
discover details of the ASCY band that rang a peal of G7 at St. Matthew,
Upper Clapton, Middx. on 6th October 1873; (Felstead).

I have been unable to trace it in any of the records to which I have
access and enquiries I made some years back with ASCY suggested that the
records for the relevant date had been lost in the war. I am beginning
to work on revising a history of ringing at the church and this is now
the only outstanding peal record. I suppose it is not impossible that
the Felstead record is incorrect as all the other peals from that era
appeared in Bell News or Church Bells and some in Bell's Life in London,
so it is odd that this one doesn't show up somewhere.

Any help or suggestions for further search options would be appreciated.
I have tried all the obvious sources on the Newspaper Archive.

Ted

Posted by: David Willis <dcwillispiano at yahoo.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional