[Bell Historians] Pre Bell News performances from the newspaper achive

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Dec 4 17:50:20 GMT 2017

When submitting historic peals, please be mindful of tenor weights and places where rings have been replaced.

For instance, this is listed as having the tenor weight as the same the 1952 recast,  41-3-15 in C.
http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1200149

whereas at the time, it was 41-0-14 in Bb

Just something else to consider and not intended as a criticism of submitting these historic peals to work towards a complete and accurate record.

Best wishes

Sam

Thank you Sam and anyone who notices these pre 1880 items.

I dont believe I stand an earthy of being 100% accurate on pre Dove tenor weights such has been the traffic through the bellfounders in 130 years plus. Where a conflict with fact exists perhaps I should delete the tenor weight in future ?

The main reason for posting these items is to help generate an interest within the ordinary 40,000 of us to take part in ringing history, either at a tower level, branch or who knows how much further.

It's not a new idea at all as can be seen from the Rolls of Honour RW articles each month. For the most part we are interested in very ordinary ringers in our towers 100 years ago. So it's the names of ringers and the towers at which they rang that is my principal interest.

Names of ringers appear in a variety of forms and each should have one name, and so it would be very helpful if any of you on the ground can correct the names at a particular tower. I have corrected some.

Assuming Sam that you have an interest in Liverpool, here are the leading ringers there in the pre 1880 period ..

1 1 A Heron
1	1	Edward Booth
1	1	G Helby
1	1	George Helsby
1	1	H Brooks
1	1	Henry Beck
1	1	I Meadows
1	1	J Egerton
1	1	J Heron
1	1	James Egerton
1	1	James Field
1	1	John Brown
1	1	Richard Williams
1	1	Robert Williams
1	1	Thomas Hammond
1	1	W Bastow
1	1	W Burkinshaw
1	1	W Gill
1	1	W Woodhead
1	1	William Woodhead
20	20	Total

Please feel free to correct the entries concerned thanks. I would be tied down somewhat finding out eg if Helsby or Helby is correct.

The variety of towers I am finding is not as great as I would prefer but then this is all newspaper archive has.

Regards,

David

Posted by: David Willis <dcwillispiano at yahoo.com>

<*> Your email settings: