[Bell Historians] Kingshithe, was The Botley Youths

'David Cawley' davidl.cawley@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Dec 6 22:09:01 GMT 2017

Cannot identify Kinghithe. The particulars of St George-in-the-East old
Bells were:

Treble       33"            6  1  24    1820   Thomas Mears II
2nd            34 1/2"    7   1  20      "                 "
3rd             36 1/4"    8  2  1`7  1751    Thomas Lester
4th	    40 1/4"  12  0   2    1820    Thomas Mears II
5th	    43"         13  0   8    1751     Thomas Lester
6th             45 1/2"  15 0  26    1938     Mears & Stainbank
7th	   50 3/4"  20 2   2      1820     Thomas Mears II
Tenor      56 3/4"  28  1   4         "                 "
C#  Before tuning it was given as 30-1-15

The 3rd and 5th being the survivors of the 1751 Thomas Lester 8, of which
six were recast in 1820 and the 6th again in 1938 when all were rehung in a
new frame. A tablet in the tower commemorates this. The Bells came down in
the Blitz of London (the 1938 rehang kept the old timber frame) and the
metal is said to have been said to have been stolen, hence the light weight
(6-0-9 in C) of the present eight which were cast from the metal of the old
six from Hornsey.

DLC