[Bell Historians] Kingshithe,

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Dec 7 22:00:21 GMT 2017

From: "Ted Steele teds.bells at tesco.net [bellhistorians]" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>

The date of the Bell’s Life issue is Saturday September 12th 1874 and
the item says the peal was rung “On Saturday last” so perhaps 5th Sept.
1874.
“On Saturday last the ringers of St. George’s, Kingshithe, achieved on
their bells a true peal of 5,040 grandsire triples in 3h 33min. The men
were placed as follows: - James Bricknell treble, Hugh Tritten 2,
William Spencer 3,John Hillier 5, Samuel Crockford 6, Luke Webster 7,
William Rowley tenor. Called by Mr Hugh Tritten, Weight of tenor, 33cwt.”

The fact that it appears in the same issue as the second Botley Cross
peal could perhaps be significant; if there were hoaxers about they
might have been prolific, but hwhat on earth could have motivated such
hoaxes as these? The third peal published in this issue was at
Worcester, All Saints, 5,003 Grandsire Cators. This appears in Felstead
where references to it in Church Bells as well as Bell's Life are also
given, so it at least appears to be genuine.

Ted

Ted, I have posted up over 400 items covering a period to 1880.

Those ringers looked unfamiliar so I checked them and they dont appear anywhere in the 488 performances 1800 - 1880.

David

Posted by: David Willis <dcwillispiano at yahoo.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional