[Bell Historians] Kingshithe,

La Greenall laalaagrr@googlemail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Dec 8 15:57:46 GMT 2017

True, but I only meant 'too many to be worth counting' - note "seem"!

As a local historian and sometime genealogist I am used to datamining
online biographical data, and it is far, far more usual to have to wade
through countless dead ends and false hits than it is to get effectively
nothing in a Google search. So my "hundreds" was an automatic reaction
to smelling a dead trail.

But it is of course worth listing a small group of hits, as you have
done. Had I got anywhere, the next step (for the benefit of others - I
think you'd know this already), would be to search the other names in
the list in the 1871 census, hopefully get a reasonably short list of
hits for each one (which id why you go for unusual names first), and
then correlate all lists, looking for a place where all or many of those
names appeared at the same time, near each other.

Ted's report of extra spurious entries makes me wonder whether these
were pranks dreamed up in pubs after genuine rings - to try to get as
false a report as possible into the lists. I bet they must have failed
and been caught out sooner or later, their false data being refused, but
I dare say this wasn't recorded for posterity!

If this is true, then the census technique might not work, as we'd be
looking for a group of ringers gathered in a pub near where they've just
been ringing, not gathered at their own homes. But worth a quick shot.

Lawrence

On 08/12/2017 14:19, David Willis dcwillispiano at yahoo.com