[Bell Historians] Re: Submitting historic peals (was The Botley Youths)

John Harrison john@jaharrison.me.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Dec 9 21:32:35 GMT 2017

In article <alpine.LRH.2.02.1712051848430.16754 at sphinx.mythic-beasts.com>,
   Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians]
<bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> My view is that because BellBoard is a database of performances rather
> than a database of tower or bells, we should record the performance as
> the ringers would have wished it to have been recorded at the time, so
> far as we can tell.

That sounds reasonable.  BUt it's not just A or B.

Peals at Wokingham All Saints prior to 2004 were generally reported with
the Tenor as 19cwt (or in one of the 1910 peals 'about 19cwt').  Dove
listed it as 19 1/2 cwt, and when we started ringing peals again in the
1980s we still sent it up as 19cwt even though we had strong suspicions it
was quite a bit less.  When it was weighed in 2004 it turned out to be
16-0-10.

A handful of our pre-2004 peals have been put on BellBoard by one of our
former ringers, and they show the weight of the current, retuned Tenor,
which is 15-2-11, which was neither correct nor as published at the time
the peals were rung.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk