[Bell Historians] Rust (was Randwick, NSW)

Andrew Higson andrewhigson@ymail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Feb 10 10:47:48 GMT 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Feb 2017, at 10:22, 'George Dawson' george at gadawson.wanadoo.co.uk [bellhistorians] <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

> The relevance of this to bells is that there are tuned true-harmonic steel bells from the 1940s - 1960s which are visibly rusty, and yet the partials are as good as when they were first tuned. We can't blame the tonal deficiencies of Naylor Vickers bells on rust, even though it is traditional to do so.
>

> Regards,
>

> Bill H
>

> Its certainly the thickness profile of the bells that is the basis of their problem. Ones that I have looked at show a lack of thickened soundbow, just like handbells.
>
> George

It may be an overgeneralisation but this fault seems to apply to all NV bells, giving Steel bells a bad name in this country (and Australia). When made with correct proportions they are much better - the small demo one in the tuning shop at JT illustrates the point.

Andrew