[Bell Historians] The 1st 10-Bell Peal

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Jan 7 11:29:22 GMT 2017

Using my FindMyPast sub I have looked briefly on newspapers available on line and found nothing

David

________________________________
From: "'Richard Offen' richard.offen at iinet.net.au [bellhistorians]" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 7 January 2017, 11:07
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] The 1st 10-Bell Peal

From:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, 6 January 2017 9:58 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] The 1st 10-Bell Peal

Next week is the anniversary of the first 10-bell peal, rung at St Bride’s Fleet Street on 11 Jan 1717, Grandsire Caters by the London Scholars. Does anyone have details of this peal? I have tried to look it up in Cyril Wrattens CD ROM collections to find that the disks don’t work on modern machines.
Thanks.
DrL
The only reference I can find is in Morris’s ‘History and Art of change Ringing (p 89), where he quotes from the Osborne Manuscripts:

“The first performance of the London Scholars was a peal of 5040 Grandsire Caters at St Brides, in Fleet Street on Friday, January 11th, 171617, the frame put up was taken down and destroyed when the church was repaired in 1786. This was supposed to be the only peal of Caters rung whilst St Bride’s contained ten bells, and was said to be the first known peal of Caters ever completed by any company in the Kingdom; which was probably the case, as no other peals upon ten bells appears upon record to precede this performance.”

Unfortunately, the Trollope manuscript of his History of Ringing in London suffers from the same incompatibility problem the Wratten CD ROM does, so I couldn’t look on there for any further detail.

________________________________

Posted by: "Dickon Love" <dickon at lovesguide.com>

________________________________

________________________________