[Bell Historians] Cirencester

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Fri Jan 27 11:49:22 GMT 2017

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

> I'm pleased to say that I now have details of the old tenor at Cirencester.

Many thanks for that Chris.  I think we can safely say
Cirencester was lighter than GSM, which were probably a
little over 28 cwt as supplied and reduced to 27-0-10 (or
27-0-13) when it was tuned in the 1950s and the canons
removed.

> The other "light twelve" for Richard to consider is
> St.Bride's Fleet Street - for which no exact weight is
> available, as far as I know. The Rudhall list shows it as
> 28 cwt.

I think we can conclude they were heavier than Cirencester.
Whether they were heaver than GSM is a moot point as
Cirencester pre-date GSM as a twelve, and probably never
knowable as GSM and St Brides were so close in weight.

Anyway, I now have a list of the lightest ring of twelve in
any given year:

   1681-1719	55	York
   1719-1722	28	St Brides
   1722-1819	25	Cirencester
   1819-1932	15	Quex Park
   1932-1974	12	Surfleet
   1974-1990	11	Accrington
   1990-2008	 8	Grundisburgh
   2008-2012	 8	Bitterne Park
   2012-    	 6	Loughborough Foundry

Perhaps of less interest is a corresponding list of the
heaviest twelve:

   1681-1765	55	York
   1765-1878	51	Southwark
   1878-1922	62	St Pauls