[Bell Historians] GREENOCK - A PATINATED BRONZE CHURCH BELL - for sale

Matthew Higby matthewhigby@aol.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jul 23 12:52:53 BST 2017

The bell clearly has the hallmarks of the Purdue dynasty, particularly the latter ones. It reminds me of the three trebles at Great Durnford which are by William III (and Nathaniel Bolter). Very unusual to see the Purdues that far away from home, although they clearly went to and from Ireland (where William died) and had a connection to the Covey's of Limerick. I fully agree with CJP about how a bell like this can appear in a sale room. I suppose it's a sign of the times. Wales and Scotland clearly don't have the same setup as the C of E for protecting important artefacts such as this.
Matthew

Sent from my iPhone