[Bell Historians] Dunkeld Cathedral

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jun 7 16:31:20 BST 2017

On Friday I had lunch in Dunkeld and had a brief wander
around the Cathedral.  The ruined nave is currently closed
to the public while repairs are carried out, but the chancel
and the ground floor of west tower were open.  The ceiling
of the ground floor room of the tower contains a wide
circular hole with a balustrade around it.  I'm not sure
whether this is the floor from which the bells are now rung,
or whether that's higher up.  In the vaulting around this
hole, centrally on each of the four sides of the room, are
what appear to be four quite ancient wooden rope chutes.  I
can't think what else they could be.  The tower now has a
ring of six cast by Thomas II Mears in 1814, but does anyone
know what (if anything) was there previously?  Was it
perhaps a ring of four?

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: