[Bell Historians] Hello from Germany

gothicmusicangel@yahoo.de [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu May 4 23:05:39 BST 2017

Good evening, dear members,

I thought I should maybe introduce myself, after years of reading your interesting messages.

My Name is Julian Hoffmann,
I´m a bell worker (renovation and maintainance of bells) and apprentice bellfounder, having my own company,
Ars Campana (the art of the bell).

I just reconstructed a medieval and a neogothic bell profile for a church project in Norway, where two bells in Eb and G ,weight 190 and 100kg ,were cast - we will soon install them, first ringing is on pentecost.

My main interest is in old bells, I do alot of research about them, and in case that a customer wants something old styled, I also try to realize it.
Why old bells? Well, though old bells have sometimes a pretty rough sound character, they got a charme or magic, that a modern, fully tuned bell cannot reach, in my opinion.

 I find it very interesting to read about Bells on the British Isles, as there seem to be much more than the ever-present two foundries Taylors and Whitechapel - which just got reduced to one.

 Throughoust history, we had more bellfounders than we have now - even in Germany, we had several more founders, even in times where few bells were requested (some founders had side-jobs for that).

 With regards, Julian