[Bell Historians] The Botley Youths

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Nov 28 16:59:33 GMT 2017

It could be a hoax – such things didn’t just happen in Charlie Denyer’s day as RW editor! Several instances of hoax ringing performances in old newspapers are already well known.

For what it’s worth, I’ve run an electronic search on my copies of John Eisel’s newspaper research files up to 1880 and the name Kirvell (one of the ringers) doesn’t occur at all, and there is only one reference to Botley (the Oxford one) where Alfred White was mugged in the 1840s. I’m attempting a British Newspaper Archive search on the combination of Kirvell and Botley, but the Internet is running too slowly (and I don’t have time to wait).

I very much doubt this is a new “lost tower” or a previously unrecorded peal – unless Botley Cross turns out to be a ringers’ nickname for some other tower

Chris Pickford