[Bell Historians] Godalming

Ted Steele teds.bells@tesco.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Sep 3 12:41:57 BST 2017

I raised correspondence on the change-ringers e-list about the new bells
at Godalming, following the front page article in this week's RW. It
seems  that contrary to what is stated clearly in the inscriptions on
the bells, they were not recast at all but are totally new metal.
Perhaps more significantly the old bells still exist, which to my mind
makes a nonsense of the claim that they were recast.

My concern really centres around historical accuracy and what a bell
historian would make of such a situation when tracing the history of a
peal of bells. Would not the inscriptions be (normally) regarded as
definitive? The response to my query was that founders would rarely
re-use the actual metal of the original bells when recasting; as the
composition of the bronze would be unknown. If that is the case then it
seems to undermine even more the notion that bells have been "recast"
since it suggests that the retention of the old material was not even
considered desirable and that there was no actual wish to maintain any
semblance of a continuum from one bell to the next.

What do the historians think of this? Apparently there are other
instances of the same thing and Imber is given as a direct parallel. Of
course it is accepted that at times extra metal must be added and that
if more than one bell is recast at the same time the metal will be
mixed. Might it be sufficient to claim that a bell has been recast if
the old inscriptions are reproduced? But then what of the old bell
remains in existence?

Ted

Posted by: Ted Steele <teds.bells at tesco.net>

<*> Your email settings: