[Bell Historians] Godalming

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Sep 3 15:28:20 BST 2017

Keeping old details – I think you’ll find (Dovemaster can doubtless confirm) that old details are retained, but can’t be displayed.

As to ‘recasting’, it is odd that the new inscriptions at Godalming say “recast” when no such thing has taken place. I wonder if the inscriptions were chosen when that was the plan – and not amended after it was decided to transfer the old bells to Geraldton (which, incidentally, is a truly remarkable and amazing building – along with the other churches in WA designed by priest-architect Mgr. John C. Hawes)

Nevertheless, “recast” is a word we should be both wary of using and cautious when drawing inferences. Unfortunately the word is too often used loosely among ringers for both replacement and recasting. It’s simply a word that should always carry a bright red ‘beware’ flag!

Chris Pickford